Saturday, September 28, 2013

Spark Student Motivation: "You've Got Mail"

Happy Saturday Friends! Time for some MOTIVATION!
I'm motivated because I'm off to Universal Studios with my BBB Jivey who drove 8 hours to come visit with me this weekend! It's so exciting to meet your blogger friends in real life! We are so fortunate to collaborate and share with such amazing friends in this blogging world! Now, I want to share another way I motivate my students!
 
I love rewarding my students with some positive praise by sending them a postcard for their hard work. Do you remember how EXCITING it was to receive mail as a kid (and even now, when it's not a bill)? I've been sending postcards since almost the beginning of my teaching career and my students love getting those little notes in the mail! Parents appreciate the kind words too!
I ALWAYS send postcards when they graduate their multiplication facts, Reading Counts point clubs, welcome to school, and thank you notes to parents who donate items from my wish list.
Then throughout the year, I send postcards for improvement, congratulations, a note of encouragement, and for special accomplishments. 
 The birthday cards I usually use as note cards and have them on student desks for their birthday. I also use the note from the teacher cards to hand out for special acknowledgements too.
As you can see I've had to write several for Reading Counts! :O)

I have a file folder that I keep in my plan book for my set up:
  • I type all my student addresses on labels and print a few pages of labels, so they're always ready (saves so much time).
  • I print several different types of postcards so I have something for every occasion.
  • I buy a few sheets of stamps and place them in my folder.
  • I quickly write them as they earn them so it's immediate praise.
**Multiplication postcards shown are from my Mastering Multiplication Facts Incentive Program.
 
Do you want to motivate your students with these postcards?  These postcards can be used for mailing or as hand delivered note cards and will brighten any student's day!
These cards will be a "forever" purchase as you can use them all year and no matter what grade level you teach!
Let's play PIN TO WIN!  Pin any picture of my postcards from this blog post or TPT and paste the URL in the comment section below. (Be sure to include your email if you're not a blogger).
Don't want to wait to see if you win? They will be 20% off in my store today only!
Winner will be announced and notified tomorrow.
 
I hope you had a wonderful week! Please link up any lessons, ideas, tips, tricks, incentives, ANYTHING you do or plan to do to get your students motivated or excited!
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to this post!
Check out all the wonderful ideas from my friends who link up and don't forget to leave some love by commenting....we LOVE comments!

20 comments:

  1. These are nice!!! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/272608583667623550/

    yslaughter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are nice!!! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/272608583667623550/

    yslaughter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are nice!!! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/272608583667623550/

    yslaughter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart idea to print labels already addressed! I've sent certificates before-I don't think I do it often enough--a great reminder! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Love the organization! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/201113939583227033/
    Teacher Gone Digital
    teachergonedigital @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/199988039676624140/). I love how organized you are with it too! I know my kids would be soooo excited to get a letter in the mail.
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/33636328440659563/
    nferreira519 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to do these when I was self-contained. I made it a goal to mail one to each student every semester. Yours are much prettier!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/300544975104090079/

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! My kids would love these!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/186969822003500794/

    a.kaye.t@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! My kids would love these!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/186969822003500794/

    a.kaye.t@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1st year teacher-would love to use this for my students!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/354588170632568162/

    emilydoo13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super idea. Love them and what a great way to make connections. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/368239707002798155/
    Heather wingodingos20@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea - great thinking to print a few sheets of labels off at the beginning of the year (love labels!!!). Here is my pin:

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/47991552252844869/

    Hope you and Jivey are only talking about work related issues and not having too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I love the idea of actually mailing postcards to them. With the advancement of technology I bet children hardly ever get anything in the mail. (Next road trip... head up to Canada! It's especially beautiful here in the Summer and Fall.) :)
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another stupendous idea, Joanne! I agree with Lisa that kids hardly ever get anything in the mail so this makes this idea even more special. :)

    Hope you and Jivey had a wonderful day!!!

    (And you're always welcome here in Wisconsin too! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really need to do this more with my students. I love how easy you have made it by printing address labels and keeping stamps right in your binder. You're a genius!
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/237142736601968493/
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these! I like how organized you are...definitely would make it easier to get those postcards out in the mail! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/108227197268658990/

    erocks720@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you did a post about this! I just got done designing some postcards as well! Thanks so much for the organizational idea. Now I have the perfect way to coordinate them. :0) I was thinking of having the students fill one out every so often as well... Great post, as always!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you send postcards to your kids. I am so sure they love to receive mail from you.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the inspiration! I have always sent my kids postcards in the mail for their birthday, but you have inspired me to come up with other occasions to send them for. Great ideas!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...